Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/27/2020

Marriage Story (2019)

A couple is divorcing, but have decided to remain friends. They want to be reasonable with each other and see no need to hire representation. The main reason for their break-up is that they live in New York where Charlie is a theater director, but actress Nicole has always wanted the family to spend some time in LA, her hometown. Since she's starring in a pilot out there, she decides to take their son along with her during shooting. And that's when things get complicated.

Their plans for civility go out the window when lawyers get involved. Though it was frustrating to see them go down this road with lawyers who would, seemingly, do anything to win, I also found it to be extremely believable. For Charlie and Nicole, it wasn't a petty game of "I'm gonna take you down," but rather a contest for how and where life is going to be lived and how and where their child would experience family. Unfortunately, lawyers know the game and the rules seem to be "your spouse must be the enemy." Good intentions will not survive divorce proceedings.

The juxtaposition of Nicole's joy and flourishing career against Charlie's depressive struggle was startling. It was as though there was only so much happiness and good luck to be had, and Nicole was siphoning most of Charlie's for herself. I would find myself getting so angry with Nicole until we would pause and talk it through. Putting myself in her shoes, wouldn't I do the same? No matter if I still had affection for my husband?

It's been about a week since we watched this and I have probably discussed it for at least 5 hours and thought about it so much more than that. It is one of the most affecting films I've seen in a long time. I laughed, sobbed, was incensed, scared, and hopeless. My heart broke at least three times. It's absolutely masterful. And though he isn't the winner in the film, Adam Driver certainly deserves to win the Oscar this year. He gets a real acting workout in this film and never fails to deliver.

A+

Labels: , , , , ,