Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/17/2023

A Man Called Otto (2022)

Hanks plays Otto, a crabby "get off my lawn" widower who's missing his wife as intensely as the rest of the world annoys him. But life -- in the form of his neighbors -- won't leave him in peace.

I'm fairly certain that I'd normally consider this charming or, at worst, inoffensive. But, since I read wonderful novel on which this is based and saw the original nearly perfect Swedish film, it was impossible to enjoy this unnecessary and subpar adaptation. 

Also, I know Hanks is a national treasure yada yada, but he can't pull off curmudgeonly. Just like the young daughters of the new neighbors, we the audience can see right through his act.

C+

Labels: , , ,