Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/08/2023

Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé (2023)

Other than a few songs and just by virtue of being a person alive in the 2000s, I know very little about Beyoncé. I would not characterize myself as a hip-hop fan and I never even watched Lemonade. In short: I was not excited about seeing this movie. But wow -- I'm sure glad I did because this experience was nothing short of amazing.

I came away with not only appreciation for her artistry, but inspired by her. It's clear that she's as hard a worker as anyone around her and that those in her employ are there not just because she's a superstar, but because it's actually a nourishing workplace. The way she interspersed concert footage with backstage activity, planning sessions, the hard work of the crew who assemble the stage, was impressive; she made sure to highlight the fact that she's one of many.

A couple of notes, though... first: it's too long by about 20 minutes. Second: Beyoncé directed this herself, so it's impossible not to wonder if some of the cracks were plastered over. On the face of it though, she looks legitimate and like a worthy recipient of the fervor she inspires. And she sure does inspire! I went through a few tissues, mostly because of the audience singing along with such joy at being in the same place as she was. I know they'll remember the experience forever because I felt her presence even though I only got it through a screen.

A-

Labels: , ,