Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/07/2024

Rustin (2023)

Bayard Rustin is a name I'd never heard before and -- though it's a travesty he's not in history books -- I can kind of see why. A loud gay black man, regardless of his intellect and ability to inspire action in the fight for equality, is gonna be a tough sell as the "face" of anything in the 1960s.

That said, the movie feels a little too "good for me": the cinematic equivalent of oatmeal. Yes, I'm satisfied, but I'm not inspired to recommend, despite the fact that I'm impressed with the man's bravery and accomplishments.

B-

Labels: , , ,