Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/04/1999

love jones (1997)

Here we get a clear-eyed look at modern romance: the excitement, confusion, depression, and game playing. The couple at the center of the story, Nina (Nia Long) and Darius (Larenz Tate) play it frustratingly "safe", often guessing incorrectly what the other is feeling. While my reaction was that I wanted to reach in and bonk their heads together, I recognized the story as real and the acting as top-notch.

That said, the real reason to see this film is for the secondary cast. Nina and Darius are the stars, but it's the witty dialogue of Savon, Sheila, Ed, and Wood that makes me recommend this film.

C+

Labels: , , ,