Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

3/21/2002

Guinevere (1999)

I went back and forth on how I felt during this movie. Ultimately, I found that I understood both Connie (the older man) and Harper (Guinevere). Of course she'd be flattered and feel lucky to have been "chosen" by this man. And I don't think he was a nasty old man, but instead fancied himself a great teacher, uniquely qualified to help the helpless. The ending was not a good idea, especially the "vision of death" conjured by Harper. But, boy, Jean Smart shoulda been nominated as a supporting actress that year. She was heartbreakingly good -- fierce and lonely.

C

Labels: , , ,