Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/11/2004

Osama (2004)

My reaction to this film was "that would really suck," which I doubt is the reaction the filmmakers were hoping for. It's not that I demand sensationalism or filmed, graphic horrors in a film about oppression -- but I do need to identify with the people being portrayed.

Watching the film was a bit like reading a textbook on the subject: "and then this happened...then this...and then this...the end." Even near the end of the film, when the wives were talking with the main character about their ruined lives -- it was as though they were reciting memorized speeches rather than sharing their hearts. There was talk of pain, but no conveyance of the pain.

Interesting, but distant -- and I hate that it's this way because I almost feel guilty for NOT being moved more. But it's the filmmaker's job to get me there -- I was willing to go.

C+

Labels: , ,