Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/22/2005

Birth (2004)

Although I could have used a bit of levity somewhere -- the whole thing was so muted and heavy -- I was quite affected by this story.

There's one scene in which the camera focuses on Kidman's face for what feels like three minutes during a concert. The subtle moods that pass over it and the pure startlement she conveys when her fiance whispers something to her -- surprising her out of her deep thoughts -- are something to be studied by aspiring actors for decades to come. The open ending can be interpreted in a few different ways and, despite the fact I'd love to know if my way's the "right" way, I rather like the ambiguity.

B

Labels: , , ,