Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/30/2005

Serenity (2005)

Biggest movie-going disappointment of my life. I love the television series Firefly and had heard good words from fellow fans who saw advance screenings; I also heard Joss Whedon say in an interview that he's in the business of making things people love, not like. This, unfortunately, was such a letdown to true fans of the series. I'm sure that, as a standalone movie, it works. But as an entry into the timeline and events of Malcolm Reynolds and the crew of Serenity? No. Not only do they rewrite the history of how, exactly, Simon got River out of the Academy, but they ruined the FEEL of the show. AND they killed two (count 'em TWO) of the characters I love. It seems that Whedon was more interested in impressing the masses than keeping the integrity of the material intact -- and that's a real shame. I'll still buy this when it comes out on DVD. Just like Seinfeld and pizza, even bad ones are pretty good.

As a movie, it gets a B+. As compared to the rest of the Firefly stories? It gets a D.

B+

Labels: , , , ,