Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/10/2005

Cronicas (2005)

I love to play the game "mafia," which causes me to think of almost situation with unknown components in terms of "if this were a mafia game..." I actually say that phrase sometimes when arguing with my husband to show him how his comments would get him lynched in a game.

So, anyway. There's a serial child rapist/murder (we're talking 100+ victims) in Ecuador. John Leguizamo is a star reporter for a sensationalistic newsmagazine who's made it a mission to uncover "The Monster's" identity. He becomes convinced that he's found his man, but must jump through hoops to confirm what he thinks he knows.

This film was so well-made that although the opening scene made it completely clear to me that that Vinicio (the suspect) was up to no good, I almost immediately changed my mind and got on his side. Then I flipped back to my original idea. Then I just wasn't sure. And then the movie ended abruptly. Bravely. I liked that the newsmagazine team behaved believably -- I mean, what would I do if I succeeded in convincing everyone of something that I didn't myself believe? What would I do if my unchangeable actions benefited me personally but made the world around me worse? Would I admit it and be reviled? Or would I take the money and keep my mouth shut?

I couldn't help but think that Vinicio would be a helluvan opponent in a game of mafia. Assurance of his guilt was followed quickly by doubt every time. Very well acted. Very good film.

A-

Labels: , , , ,