Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/16/2006

Cleopatra (1963)

It's been on my "to see" list for more than a decade. I wasn't looking forward to it in the least, but since I'm determined to eventually see all of the Oscar-nominated films in the acting, writing, and best picture categories, there was simply no escaping it.

I guess it was all that "most expensive flop of all-time" hype surrounding it that made me view the movie as a chore to be done...but, really, my anxiety was misspent. This is not a bad film. More specifically: it's a fantastic film worthy of an "A" for the first (Caesar) half and an overstuffed spectacle that'd earn a "C-" throughout the second (Antony) half. Together, it's not bad.

B

Labels: , , ,