Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

8/04/2007

Starter for 10 (2007)

This is a fairly standard "freshman-year-of-college" deal. The film is set in 1985 -- which is, coincidentally, the same year I was a freshman in college. That may explain some of my fondness for it...I remember how I was going to reinvent myself but, somehow, wound up just being me again.

This is one of those few films that improves upon its source material (novel is called, for some reason, A Question of Attraction in the states). The book forces humor and the main character is both pathetic and selfish, while the movie is good-humored with an awkward and rather sweet lead. Nothing terribly unexpected happens here, but so what? This works in the same way that Notting Hill worked. It feels authentic, has an eager cast (especially the charming as all get out McAvoy), and just made me happy. I don't mind when a movie feels familiar -- it's when it feels tired that there's a problem.

B+

Labels: , , , ,