Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/02/2007

Broken English (2007)

This is the kind of story I usually really get into, but Parker Posey just didn't work in the lead role of a lonely professional and it kind of took me out of the experience. She's really out of her element here -- the fact that she has a hard time coming off as "real" (a la Jim Carrey) hurts what's a very real, very low-key vibe.

Drea Matteo steals every scene she's in because she's just so much better than Posey. She was effortlessly organic while Posey just gave it her best.

One other thing: Parker's fingernails were so dirty in the opening scene that I was surprised that she was revealed to be a hotel employee rather than, say, a painter or a gardener. Yuck.

C+

Labels: , , , ,