Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/21/2008

In the Valley of Elah (2007)

Tommy Lee Jones is ex-military police who's lost one son in combat and gets the call that his remaining son, who he thought was still in Iraq, is back in the states and missing from his base. Not the type to just sit around, he goes looking.

This reminded me a lot of "Courage Under Fire" -- Jones driven to get to the bottom of a mystery that everyone else seems determined to kick under the rug. I've read a couple of reviews that accuse Paul Haggis of making this film as a statement against the military...but I disagree that this movie only works as a screed. It's emotionally deep and extremely well-constructed as an investigative thriller.

Basically: I believed it and it broke my heart.

B+

Labels: , , , , ,