Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/29/2010

Winter's Bone (2010)

Much like Persuasion, I only realized how good the story was quite late in the film. At least an hour had gone by before I kind of started putting together what was actually happening. Up until that point, it felt a little gratuitous in an "aren't those people who live in the Ozarks stupid and savage for no reason!?" way.

Once I'd gotten enough information, though, I was able to reflect on what I'd already seen and it made me marvel at its restraint and power. I worry that a lot of people won't bother to think back...or even finish the thing.

B+

Labels: , , , ,