Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/09/2011

The Sweet Hereafter (1997)

A small town that has recently suffered the devastating loss of several of its children receives a visit from a lawyer eager to involve the families in a class action suit.

This is probably the third time I've seen this film and, I must say, it's still amazingly powerful. The cast does a flawless job of portraying their bereavement without making it seem false. The flashbacks to "before the accident" are heartbreaking in their everyday contentedness. What I saw this time around was different than what I remembered from the first viewings. The possibility of beauty and poetry and sadness exists in almost every scene and I think it's just too much to extract in one sitting.

An original, emotionally draining movie.

A+

Labels: , , ,