Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/21/2012

The Big Year (2011)

Three men: shlub Jack Black, rich almost-retiree Steve Martin, and desperate-to-hold-onto-past-glory Owen Wilson are all vying for the record of sighting the greatest number of bird species in a single calendar year. It’s got a lot of heart, but it’s just a bit too slight. Also, why couldn’t anyone take their significant other WITH them on their fabulous trips to spot elusive birds rather than risking relationships for a hobby? Everyone but the shlub could certainly afford to.

It wasn't until after the film that I learned that Big Year is a real thing and that the movie is based on a non-fiction book, which I'm now eager to read.  I've never been a bird watcher, but I am a newly minted empty-nester so, suddenly, I find myself interested in hobbies that were heretofore impossible due to time and travel requirements.

B

Labels: , ,