Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/24/2012

The Brothers Bloom (2009)

I was a little worried, during the opening "flashback to childhood" scene, that watching this would send me into quirk overload as the scene was narrated in rhyming couplets...but I needn't have been concerned.  Just about everything in this film was inspired and delightful.

Two foster brothers have a knack for the long con.  One brother dreams up ever more elaborate cons while the other simply dreams of an "unwritten life."  The next (and last, of course) mark is Penelope -- a lonely recluse who collects hobbies and doesn't know that what she really wants is adventure.  When the brothers show up and give her a glimpse of the fun she could be having outside of her mansion, she jumps in with both feet.  I mean, seriously.  How cute is this doodle paper??

The ending was surprising and satisfying.  It's simply one of the best times I've had watching a film in a good long time.  I might have to buy this movie.

A

Labels: , , , ,