Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/29/2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

All reviews I've seen have been a variation on "youhavetoseeityoullbeamazedandtheGIRLshesawesome" so, I was pretty excited to see this.  After all, I like good movies and cute kids!  But, hell.  I didn't get it.

I wasn't inspired by the nobility of the bayou dwellers who disdain those privileged people who go grocery shopping (what assholes!) but seem fine with separate shacks for a tiny motherless daughter who lights her gas stove with a frickin blowtorch and and the drunken father who disappears for days.  Pride of place is fine.  Choosing a non-traditional existence is also cool.  But putting your child in danger just because you aren't soft like the city folks across the levees is reprehensible.

To be fair, I’m not even sure if I’m criticizing what was actually happening since there were plenty of hallucinatory sequences. Maybe little Hushpuppy's just having a bad dream and when she wakes up, there'll be zero giant pigs and two clean bed sheets.

D+

Labels: , , , , ,