Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

11/17/2013

Celeste & Jesse Forever (2012)

Celeste and Jesse have been separated for 6 months, but he’s still living in the garage and they still do everything together. Neither is truly moving on and Jesse still holds out hope that it’s not over.

There’s an overlay of melancholy to even the lighthearted scenes that I wasn’t expecting. As their worlds inexorably disentangle, I found myself not sure what I wanted to happen...which seemed to be in line with exactly what Celeste and Jesse were wondering themselves. It’s a thoughtful, emotional story with well-drawn and surprisingly sympathetic characters. And if I were in charge of casting things, I'd create roles just to make sure Chris Messina had a spot in whatever I was doing.

B

Labels: , , , ,