Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/04/2014

Crush (2002)

I saw this about 10 years ago and absolutely adored it so, when it finally came up in the guide (and wasn’t that horrible-looking Alicia Silverstone “The Crush” movie that seems to be perpetually playing on some channel when I search for "Crush"), I jumped on it. Although I still really liked it, I’m not sure what kind of mindframe I was in the first time that made it capture me so completely. It’s a much more lightweight affair than it had become in my memory. Still, it definitely has its moments.

A trio of 40-something girlfriends with very little going on in the romance department gather weekly to compete for “saddest fuck of the week.” When Andie McDowell’s headmistress starts giddily hooking up with a much younger guy, her friends do their best to shut it down, for her own good. I really wish they’d cast anyone other than McDowell in the central role, though. It’s life-affirming and lovely, but she’s just awful.

B

Labels: , , , ,