Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

4/24/2015

Ex Machina (2015)

I think that, if I hadn't yet seen “Her,” I would have been blown away by this movie. Instead, I simply appreciated it, but felt as though the subject wasn't new.

Caleb is brought to billionaire Nathan’s (who also happens to be his employer) estate for a week. Caleb’s told he’s won the trip, but he was actually carefully selected with the intent that he will perform a Turing Test on Nathan's newest AI.

Leaving the theater, my overwhelming impression was that the story was a bit too small for the subject matter. This feeling was probably due to the limited cast and setting, which means that it was a deliberate scaling. Gary and I talked about it for a couple of days, though. It’s definitely interesting and the performances were amazing. Plus...the scene below was worth the price of admission alone.


B+

Labels: , , , , ,