Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/28/2016

In the House (2013)

A long-time literature teacher sees promise in a young student’s writing and does everything he can to keep the student going.

There was a delicious sense of foreboding in trying to figure out how much of the story being woven is factual and how much (if any) is fantasy. The fact that the “characters” are actually another student and his family takes the writing excercises into a grey area. Here’s how my “customer satisfaction dial” data would’ve looked throughout this movie (scale of A-F): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAADAAA. Interpretation: within the first few minutes I literally thought to myself “Oh, excellent, I’m in the hands of a master. Yes.” That opinion dipped a couple of times and, near the end, I got pretty upset that it looked like they weren’t going to stick the landing... but the denouement won me right back.

Fantastic.

A

Labels: , , , ,