Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

12/21/2016

Other People (2016)

Adult son moves home to Sacramento from New York to help out/be with his mother as she’s treated for/is dying of cancer. His family is a “church every Sunday” one, he’s a gay writer, and his father still isn’t comfortable with that.

There was just something about this movie. It felt honest. And a little banal. And that was alright. Death and family aren’t always fraught with meaning -- sometimes it’s just existing alongside those you both love and don’t connect with as well as you wish you could.

I really liked this -- to the degree that I might want to have my kids watch it if I ever get sick so they know what to expect.

B+

Labels: , , ,