Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/30/2017

Baby Driver (2017)

The first thing we see, even before the movie has begun, is Edgar Wright, the writer director, thanking us for coming to the theater to see his film because it's made for the big screen. And wow. Is it ever. I think we could've enjoyed this on the couch, but the experience definitely would've been diminished.

We start off with a bang -- a heist and getaway soundtracked to The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's Bellbottoms. We find out soon enough that the driver (Baby) finds an appropriate tune for all of his jobs and this movie knows how to make the music a necessary part of the action. Gunfire becomes percussion and a walk down the street becomes a dance.

As we were driving home, I wondered aloud how long the script might have been. Eight pages, maybe? But it doesn't matter that the dialogue was light -- it was an experience that never dipped in entertainment. I didn't think car chases were my thing, but when they're this inventive and allow me to actually see what the cars are doing and where they're going? Yeah, they're my thing.

B+

Labels: , , , , ,