Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/12/2019

Gerald's Game (2017)

Couple heads to their lake house during the off-season to spice up their marriage with a little light bondage. Problem is, hubby's heart is a ticking time bomb with only enough time to get wife chained to the bed before the time runs out on its clock...

This is a terrific re-telling of one of my least favorite King books. Her hallucinatory guides are a brilliant device. And the flashback, which I found too graphic in the book, was simply heartbreaking here. I loved this very much until the denouement. For me, the horror was in the situation itself and the memories it kicked up. Adding a real monster to the mix was an unnecessary hedging of bets in the book and I wish they'd have dropped it here.

B-

Labels: , , , ,