Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/29/2020

Midsommar (2019)

Christian is one of those guys who seems nice, but who is actually just too much of a coward to be honest. He wants to break up with his girlfriend Dani and has even planned a trip abroad with his friends without telling her. But, after she suffers the sudden loss of her family, he stays in the relationship and even invites her on the trip. The trip in question is to the Swedish hometown festival of one of the friends. The "town" is more of a commune and the festival seems to be a beautiful "one with nature"-type of thing. At first.

The genius in the film is in the building dread. That we are as in the dark as the group of non-Swedish friends really helps -- we're not sure if what we're seeing is simply different or if there's truly something alarming going on. I thought I'd probably just go along with things the way Dani did, until it got too late to do anything. I mean, who am I to judge other people's way of life, right? 

Though I see The Wicker Man as the clear inspiration of this film, Midsommar is a vast improvement.

B+

Labels: , , , ,