Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/20/2020

Dumplin' (2018)

It's pageant season, which causes Willowdean to miss her much-loved aunt even more keenly since it this time of year shines a spotlight on her differences with her mother -- director (and past winner) of Miss Teen Bluebonnet. When Will (Dumplin' to her mother) discovers that her aunt wanted to compete in the pageant but never did, she decides to compete herself as a form of protest. Soon, there are a couple of more unconventional girls following her lead.

I wouldn't really say that this movie is good, but it is definitely feel-good. I enjoyed the messages the story delivered, even as I rolled my eyes at a couple of plot points as "wouldn't ever happen." The thing is: they should happen, so I'll get on board. As a big girl with disapproving parents but seemingly loads of confidence who happened to have bagged a pretty cute/non-big boy herself, there was definitely a sense of familiarity with the lead's story.

Also, a plot that references Dolly Parton as much as this one does is just "good people."

B

Labels: , , ,