Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/29/2021

Birthmarked (2018)

A scientist couple get a grant for their long-term experiment of raising three children to prove nurture over nature. One adoptive child born to a long line of dummies is raised with expectations of genius, one adoptee born to a violent clan is raised as a pacifist, and their own biological child is raised to be an artist rather than scientific. Things don't go as planned.

While I mostly enjoyed it, I was never laughing. There was just something off about the comedy -- like it was striving for a Tenenbaums vibe but forgot to include the absurd, maybe? It just wound up being ineffective to the point that I wasn't even positive that it was attempting to be funny.

C+

Labels: , ,