Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/01/2022

Annette (2021)

This is a through-sung story about romance, murder, and magic. It's like A Star Is Born crossed with Grease crossed with The Talented Mr. Ripley crossed with Pinocchio. In other words: what in the hell did I just watch?

Adam Driver is, as ever, just magnetic. I'd wager thousands that his "I killed my wife" stage bit will become the go-to one-person piece for acting classes -- it was incredible. I was also blown away by both of Simon Helberg's solo numbers (see below). But, overall, I'd call this a fascinating failure.


C+

Labels: , , , , ,