Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/16/2022

The Lie (2020)

Kayla confesses to killing her missing friend in a fit of anger and her divorced parents have to work together to keep their daughter in the clear. But she's an absolute sociopath, seeming to have no regrets about her actions. As her parents grow more frazzled, the police start getting suspicious and her friend's father begins to fear his daughter might not be coming back.

Will parents really go to these wild lengths to protect a clearly disturbed kid who definitely needs psychiatric help? I have no idea, but I'd hope they'd be smarter than these two bumblers were. I was constantly frustrated by their decisions and concerned that their efforts would be in vain as Kayla seemed sure to be the type who'd kill again.

Weirdly, I didn't see the ending (which bumps the score up a bit) coming, despite the film's title.

C+

Labels: , , , ,