Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

9/18/2022

Vengeance (2022)

Novak is a writer for The New Yorker and he's part of hookup culture, with dozens of women saved in his phone as reminders rather than names. When he's informed that one he's labeled "Texas" has died and that her family believes he's her boyfriend, he is pressured into attending her funeral. Her family is convinced she was murdered and, though he doubts that, he sees a potential for a podcast in the family's reluctance to accept the facts of her death.

I laughed out loud many times at the fish-out-of-water situations of a New Yorker in west Texas, but what really got me was the incisiveness of the script. Take for example, this brilliant observation by a music producer whom Novak expected would be a rube:


I wasn't a fan of the way things wrapped up, but that's more because I was invested and wanted to retain my illusions. But I guess that's how people get suckered into bad situations, an underlying theme here.

B+

Labels: , , , , ,