Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are US release (Oscar eligibility).

8/15/2026

The Odyssey (2026)

I don't often feel unqualified to judge a movie, but since 1) I have very little experience with mythology and 2) I did not enjoy this movie when so many others did, I can't help but wonder if I just didn't "get it." But then I remind myself that seeing a movie is supposed to be an enjoyable activity and if I wasn't entertained -- for whatever reason -- I'm allowed to say so.

The first adjective that comes to mind is LOUD. As I covered my ears, I looked around me and saw that I was not the only one doing so. My husband even pulled his hearing aids out during several scenes. I mean, come on. That's ridiculous. Also (see my above confession about being unversed in mythology), I was often confused about what was happening. I guess if I'd had any familiarity with the stories, I might've gotten giddy when scenes started: "oh boy, this must be Calypso!" or whatever, but I didn't so I just had to judge what was on screen for what actually happened. And, most of the time, if it wasn't LOUD it was boring.

There were, of course, some standout scenes. I found the Cyclops design to be gorgeous: twisting his eye vertical and having his nose turned as well made him pitiable -- just a sadly deformed giant, living a lonely life as a shepherd in exile. And the final battle (though deafening) was also thrilling. Nominations for Anne Hathaway, Samantha Morton and Robert Pattinson would be well-earned.

But, overall, naw.

C

Labels: , , , ,