Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are US release (Oscar eligibility).

10/03/2026

Obsession (2026)

Baron has a crush on co-worker Nikki so, when he finds a product that promises him one wish, he buys it makes a wish that she love him more than anything. Great set-up, but it falls apart almost immediately because whoever's granting wishes doesn't understand what love is. I think I'd have been completely on board if the wish were that she is crazy about him or can't live without him or is obsessed with him or a thousand other ways the wish could've been phrased... just not "love."

That said, I really enjoyed the mechanics of the spell. I liked that the real Nikki was trapped under the wish and could, very briefly, sometimes emerge. I also enjoyed when she was just plain weird: like when she'd move unnaturally or stand in a dark corner to watch him sleep. But most of what she did made zero sense as love, unless we're going to say a man who beats people to a bloody pulp for the sin of looking at his woman might have done it because he just loves her so much. Ugh.

C

Labels: , , ,