Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/26/2006

Game 6 (2006)

I was kind of wrinkling my nose at what passes for conversation in this movie...it seemed so irritatingly familiar while also feeling incredibly unrealistic. Then there was an asbestos storm, complete with men in white suits moving like astronauts as they cleaned up the mess and it clicked: DeLillo.

The one other experience I've had with this writer, when I was forced to read "White Noise" for an online book club, was equally unsatisfying. The characters spoke in the same "monologuists taking turns" style and there was even a catastrophe involving chemicals where people had to take cover while a team came in to clean up the place in containment suits. So -- this guy's apparently got only a couple of ideas and, unfortunately, they're not very interesting ones.

This was tedious, to say the least. Keaton's performance was good, but it didn't fool me into believing the movie was.

D-

Labels: , , ,