Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/03/2023

X (2022)

In 1979, a small group decides they're going to get rich by making a "good dirty picture." In order to achieve their goal, they've hired a student filmmaker who brings along his prudish girlfriend to help with the audio equipment. The remote farm property they've rented is perfect -- as long as they don't run afoul of the the elderly property owners.

I thought this was a lot of fun in an '80s screamfest kind of way. Its vibe was very "Friday the 13th": it wasn't all that terrifying, just a bunch of expected deaths in fairly expected ways. But this fell flat mainly for the absolutely terrible old age makeup on the property owners. I kept expecting for them to get younger in order for it to make sense... but they never did. I think this may be connected with the movie "Pearl," which may explain the casting/makeup choices there, but I can't be bothered to check it out.

C-

Labels: , , , ,