The Remains of the Day (1993)
I was in my 20s when I first saw this and I liked it a lot then, but it hits even harder now that I've got some mileage on me.
Stevens, as butler to a large estate, is all about his work; he is there to serve, not to agree or disagree. When Miss Kenton joins the staff as housekeeper, he recognizes her as extremely capable ("I'd be lost without her") while also being able to speak her mind in a way that he refuses to, even in private conversation. And they fall deeply in love, though the emotions are so bottled up that you'd not notice them from the outside -- in fact, they don't even notice that their love is reciprocated by the other until decades after they've parted.
In addition to the tragically muted love story, we've got a political B story about the lead-up to the second World War and the rise of Hitler. It's a scary time for the world with people making honest yet terrible errors leading to huge consequences. Basically, it's life: the personal moments shake a few people as violently as the worldwide events shake millions.
A
Labels: 1993, A, Drama, Oscar Nominee, Romance
<< Home