Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are US release (Oscar eligibility).

9/26/2026

Sundown (2022)

Neil is on vacation at a luxury Acapulco resort with his sister and her kids when news is received that his mother has died. Rather than rush back with the others, he pretends to have misplaced his passport in order to stay behind. He tells the taxi driver to take him to a hotel and checks in without question, even though it's clearly low-rent establishment in a dangerous area. And then, he just coasts: spending his days on the beach drinking, eating and romancing what's put in front of him. Within a few days he's no longer responding to calls and texts from home.

Though we are kept deliberately in the dark about what's going on with this guy, I couldn't help but root for him and I'm not sure this would've been the case if Neil were played by anyone other than Tim Roth. With very little dialogue, we can tell that he's not an asshole despite the obvious interpretation of his behavior. His quiet coasting continues even through a short stint in jail after he is implicated in a violent crime. We do get a concrete reason for his actions by the end, but I think I would've liked this every bit as much if there had just been no reason at all.

B+

Labels: , ,