Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/17/1999

The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935)

I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I popped this film into the VCR. I knew little about it -- just that it starred Gary Cooper (not a favorite of mine) and followed a British regiment stationed in India (Oh no! Just like "Gunga Din" -- overrated, over-acted, over-not-nearly-soon-enough movie I fidgeted through just a few months ago).

What a pleasant surprise. The dialog was quite clever, the relationships complex, and the battle scenes rousing. You know, I bet even "Gunga Din" fans would like it!

B

Labels: , , , , ,