Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/22/2001

Good Burger (1997)

Let me first say that I have never been one to put kids' films in the same boat with films for more mature viewers. My grades are much more lenient when applied to movies which intend their major audience to be aged 12 and under. But, even when compared to only those movies with the same audience in mind, Good Burger just doesn't cut the mustard.

Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell are gifted young television actors - and Kel is also a master at physical comedy. But something went wrong in the translation from the living room to the cineplex. The major flaw may well be that they chose "Good Burger," an always lame recurring sketch on Nickelodeon's "All That" as their subject.

I don't demand that all live-action kids' films have a moral (Harriet the Spy) or that they be educational (Fly Away Home). But this film misses on so many levels - it's impossible to see past them! I was appalled at the disrespect that Dexter (Kenan) showed his teacher (Sinbad) in several scenes and I stared in disbelief at the mental institution scenes - look at the schizos! Aren't they crazy - eating cards and shuffling around with vacant looks??

Do yourself a favor. Rent "George of the Jungle." Check out "Babe" or "First Kid." Laugh at movies that understand what funny is.

D

Labels: , ,