Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

2/14/2002

I Am Sam (2001)

And I usually really like Sean Penn! The camera work made it almost impossible to watch without Dramamine handy. Halfway through, I leaned over to my friend and commented how impressed I was that they had obviously hired a completely retarded camera crew.

Premise of the story was ridiculous (now that the girl is smarter than you, she'll have to go) – and having the only "normal" person who's ever given Sam the time of day and who can act as a credible witness (Dianne Wiest) turn out to be an agoraphobic is a nasty trick. Can’t this guy catch ANY breaks?

Based on the trailers, before I actually saw the film, I told my sister that Penn just looks "too retarded." I stand by that early assessment and expand the judgment to encompass everyone connected to this mess. I wish that Oscar hadn't forced me to sit through more than the trailer.

D-

Labels: , , ,