Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/26/2002

An American Rhapsody (2001)

A family escaping from Hungary to America must leave their baby behind - to be reunited with her in three days. Unfortunately, things don't go the way they planned and three days stretch to 5 years.

The first hour of the film is wonderfully interesting and I felt connected to each character I saw. The last portion, however, failed to perform at the same level. Scarlett Johannsen (playing the daughter) is sullen and rebellious; Mom is controlling and fearful; Dad seems like a nice, impotent figurehead.

In skipping ahead nearly a decade, they lost the most crucial period of the family development. Seeing the first week of her new American life was interesting – but how did she get from then to now? I wanted more...and the first hour set me up to expect more.

C+

Labels: , , , ,