Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/29/2002

Insomnia (2002)

Pacino looks EXHAUSTED in this film. It was so convincing (along with the camerawork, which made me feel just the right touch of disorientation) that I felt tired and was dying for a nap during some scenes. I was mentally encouraging Pacino to lie down...just for a couple of minutes.

Swank did a wonderful job with a bland role – didn't succumb to the temptation to "make the part her own," but instead seemed to play the girl as she was written, and ended up doing it just right. Williams, on the other hand, nearly got in the way of effective storytelling – but that could be the fault of the screenplay. It seemed to me that his part was beefed up from the original. All in all, a good film which succeeded especially with Pacino's convincing performance.

B+

Labels: , , ,