Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

1/03/2003

Y Tu Mama Tambien (2002)

This film was praised so highly that I was expecting nothing short of brilliance. What I got instead was a selfish woman who thinks she's brave, two horndogs who think they're friends, and a voiceover that thinks it's important. The sex is omnipresent (if they're not involved in masturbation or sex with a partner, they're talking about it).

I enjoyed the scenes with the fisherman and his family, mainly because finally there were people on screen with love for each other. The potentially moving after-effects of a same-sex tryst of heteros was watered down too much. Sensitive handling of the aftermath could have redeemed the movie somewhat for me, but instead I'm handed a quick voiceover. Why not let us SEE the uncomfortable ride home first-hand? The only real scene was the very last...and I mean the VERY last scene when Julio is left alone in the coffee shop and you can see the true sadness on his face. Cuaron gives us all of 3 seconds to glimpse it.

D

Labels: , , ,