Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

6/27/2003

Lost in La Mancha (2003)

Whoa - this makes the Project Greenlight production of "Stolen Summer" look like it was run by mighty minds in great control.

Terry Gilliam (the “director” of the film being documented) comes off as being nothing more than a Tom Arnold who’s been given too much praise and creative freedom. This guy is so in love with himself and his own ideas, and so incredibly fractured in his instructions and thought processes that I'm amazed he's ever gotten any movies made. I realize that the horrible weather conditions and poor health of his lead were out of his control – but no contingency plans for possible shooting problems? Idiot.

I was hoping for a fascinating peek behind the curtains of a production train wreck...but even the documentary seemed as though it didn't know what it wanted to say. I was not entertained.

D+

Labels: , ,