Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/02/2003

Das Experiment (2002)

Twenty men sign up to be human guinea pigs in a two-week prison experiment -- some are assigned as guards, some as prisoners. Amazing how quickly the subjects fell into their roles of aggressors and victims. It was tense and seemed possible while I was watching, but once I switched it off I found myself mentally explaining why it could never happen, because people are decent, everyone knew it was "fake," etc.

I was shocked to find that it actually DID happen in a 1971 Stanford experiment -- just as quickly and nearly as violently as portrayed in the film. Fascinating.

A-

Labels: , , ,