Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

7/20/2003

Jane Eyre (1996)

This could have been very good. It's terrific looking, they hit all of the highlights of the novel, and William Hurt is a surprisingly effective Rochester -- I would've never thought he could have pulled off a gruff barrel of a man, but somehow I bought him in the role. The problem is the casting of Jane. The actress is obviously French as her English is sometimes mushy and often bears a slight accent -- and she's not just plain, she's ugly, ugly, ugly. I've seen photos of this chick and I have no idea how they made her so hideous in this film, 'cause she's kinda cute in her other roles.

C+

Labels: , , ,