Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

10/20/2004

I'm Not Scared (2004)

This captures the feel of what it was like to be a child in the '70s - right before the world became too scary for children. Watching, I recalled fully the freedom of being out for hours on end -- no adults knowing my whereabouts -- doing things that would have surely terrified my mother had she known. Even though this film takes place in Italy, the vibe is universal.

I was "with" the main character all the way. I've heard complaints that his actions weren't believable (that he didn't alert authorities immediately, etc.) - but I think they were right in line with what I might have done at that age. He obviously had an active imagination and could invent several theories about the "reason" for his discovery. Once he comes to know what's actually going on and that there are no adults to be trusted, he still shows bravery that isn't above and beyond a child's.

Great film with some of the best child actors I've seen in a long while.

B+

Labels: , ,