Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/03/2005

The Assassination of Richard Nixon (2004)

Sean Penn is believable as a social misfit whose life is unsatisfying, to say the least. I sympathized with his plight and wondered how he got there in the first place. Seems to me that his estranged wife wouldn't have ever married and had three children with a man she so obviously pities...and that his inability to handle dishonesty would have steered him away from sales as a career path. These are irritating, but not film-killing, oddities.

In all, Bicke comes off as a very sympathetic loser who truly believes himself to be in the right. Up until the climax, I understood him and hoped he'd catch a break.

B

Labels: , , ,