Critical MeMe

Time spent watching films, even crappy ones, is time well-spent.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
    Post dates are when I watched, parenthetical dates are the year of US release (aka Oscar eligibility).

5/17/2005

At Close Range (1986)

Let me just get this out of the way: why are all the guys in this movie wearing eyeliner? I don't get it...

Anyway -- this is a "based on a true story" movie so, of course, I looked up the true story. What I found out was that this film had terrifying source material, but the movie pulled punches far too many times. I didn't feel distraught at all...I mean, the thing that stood out to me weren't the crimes, it was the EYELINER ON THE ACTORS, for crying out loud.

And what was up with "he's an epileptic" being tacked on every time Strathairn was introduced? It seems the sole reason for this tidbit of repeated information was so that we could see one scene of him having a seizure in bed...alone. Um. Poignant?

C

Labels: , , ,